Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Homemade Baby Food

Ok, so on this quest to save money.  I have decided to make my own baby food, Considering she will be eating what we eat soon enough anyway.  So I bought pears, apples, squash, and sweet potatoes.  We will start with those.  I also have frozen green beans and carrots so I will be making those soon too.  A whole bag of GV frozen veggies, is $.98!! that's alot of baby food. So all I have done is peal and chop the fruit, add a small amount of water to a pot, and drop in the apples, or pears, let them steam for a few min. Took them off the heat and let them cool a bit.  I then drained the water off into a seperate bowl.  After they cooled a little, I put the pieces into my Ninja food blender, and added a little bit of the cooking water to it to thin it out.
sweet potatoes baking(ended up cutting them in half about half way through and adding some water to the pan while they cooked the rest of the way)

the Squash were just cut in half and laying in a little bit of water as well, then when they were finished I just scooped out the middle of the of the squash (seeds and all) and put it all in the blender.  Pears in the blender


Pears in ice cube trays... i chose these (they are from the dollar tree) b/c they lay flatter than the large square trays & goodness knows we are limited on freezer space

after cubes froze i just popped them out of the tray & vaccum sealed them & marked the date on them.. 

here is 1 pear, 2 apples, 2 squash.  

Sweet Potatoes

Apples


Before I poured them into the ice cube trays, I took a clean 1st's baby food container and poured some food in just to get an idea of how many cubes make a whole container. Anyways, about 3 of my cubes is one whole 1st container.  Which early on she will only eat about 1/2 of a container...

It's really not hard, or time consuming, maybe just a tiny inconvenient when out in town but we will make it work, or keep a small stock of jar baby food (only when it goes on super cheap sale) just to take with us when we go out in town.  More to come when she really starts eating some of it... We have already had sweet potatoes and she loves those.  When we first started feeding cereal, we did learn to give her half of her bottle, then feed her the cereal on the spoon, then give her the rest of her bottle.  To start getting her used to eating off of a spoon.  Now she knows what it is and doesn't have a problem with it.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment